Thursday, July 9, 2009

Do Children Need Iodine?

One of the most frequent questions I receive from my patients is, “Do my children need iodine?” Over the last 30 years, iodine levels have fallen over 50% in the U.S. population (NHANES at www.cdc.gov). My research has shown over 95% of my new patients are iodine deficient by the WHO criteria. As I have discussed in Iodine, Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It, there are many reasons for this widespread deficiency including the overexposure to toxic halides such as bromine and fluoride as well as the decline in the use of iodized salt. Also, living in the Goiter Belt (i.e., Great Lake States) doesn’t help the situation either. Our soil is one of the most iodine depleted soils in the U.S.

So, back to the original question about children needing iodine. An article in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (2007;92:437-442) claims that iodine repletion in a moderately iodine-deficient European school age children significantly improves height and weight gain. Children need iodine supplementation just as adults do. The WHO estimates nearly 300,000,000 children world-wide are iodine deficient. I can assure you that many of these children are located in the U.S., as I have been testing iodine levels in children for seven years. Iodine supplementation helps the thyroid gland work better and it helps the entire hormonal system to function at a higher level. Iodine has also been shown to help to improve the IQ.

Children need adequate iodine supplementation from either their diet or nutritional supplementation. I would suggest working with a knowledgeable holistic practitioner to help you supplement your children with iodine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home